Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Easy Bake Oven


The ’80s version of the Easy Bake oven wasn’t pink, so that’s something. This could easily have been a gender neutral toy and I’m sure many parents who wanted to break down gender stereotypes purchased an Easy Bake for their sons as well as for their daughters. Just not in my family. I grew up with all the kids my age being boys in my family. While they were fun and all, I found myself off playing alone or hanging out with the adults during family events. Because my Aunt Nancy had 5 boys and my mom lived in Colorado, it was natural that we enjoyed spending time together. She was the one who gave me her old Easy Bake oven. I had so many wonderful baking afternoons with my light bulb oven. My dad and I baked together often, we loved making cakes and i loved decorating them, but the Easy Bake was something 'safer' to use by myself, no surprise that independent nature came to me at a young age.

I did have a lot of fun with this toy, and I’m still baffled at how it bakes a cake with a light bulb.

No comments:

Post a Comment